Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Keeping Current...Professional Reads and Teaching as a Performance


This week our school had its monthly SIPS which is basically small bits of professional development.  For about 30 minutes, various staff members from prek-12th grades share information about something that they either have a skill, passion or talent.  Today I went to one session by our Intermediate Principal, Dan Kerr. He shared a plethora of information about staying current as an educator.  One aspect was a book list of professional reading.  The book list can be found here.  These books offer the latest in information pertaining to student achievement, learning styles, and school-wide drive to success. I'm already adding a few to my reading stack.



Another SIP workshop was given by one of our theater teachers.  Dylan shared an interesting concept of teaching as performing.  He gave us some hands on tips on how to warm up, loosen up and give our best performance which our students deserve, right? One take away was the importance of sharing our joy. A moment of inspiration was watching a video compilation of a variety of performers and the moment I saw Macklemore and his band perform--JOY--screamed at me!  I want kids to see that when I "perform" in front of them.

EnJOY and Happy Reading,

Jen, the happy, displace librarian

No comments:

Post a Comment