Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Techie Tuesday...Library Resources without leaving your Couch

techie tuesday treasures

To say I like the library is an understatement.  I.Love.My. Library.  Everything about it!!  I'm always sad when I learn of folks who are unaware of the FREE resources available without leaving your house.  For this post, I have listed five of my favorites from our local library in Oregon.  Many libraries across the U.S. have these same options.

Please click on the thumbnail image to go to the website.

1.  E-Books

With all the electronic devices available, ebooks are quite the rage, but can get expensive, especially if you or your family member is a voracious reader.  Of course, your local library has solved the problem for you with free ebooks available with only your library card information and a click of the mouse.  Many school libraries have this option also.

ebooks

2.  Audiobooks

Having just completed a long road trip with a group of teens, I know the value of a good audiobook to capture and hold their attention.  Library2Go has a variety of options available to fill your electronic needs.

audiobooks

3.  Free Music


My daughter and I have been collecting our three free songs off of freegal for over a year and have amassed quite a music library without spending a dime.  HUGE variety of songs both popular and old, as my daughter would say, are available.

freegal

4.  Online Resources

There are a number of databases available to help in your quest for quality information without leaving your couch.  With my goal of learning Spanish, I am going to try the free Powerspeak option from my public library.

online resources library

5.  Online Catalog and Request Materials Resource

And my favorite and most used resource is the online catalog where I can look up the latest New York Times bestsellers like the one below and request it.  In a few short days or weeks, it will become available to me and conveniently be ready for pickup at my earliest convenience.  Oh and don't forget there are videos available too--and only for $1 and three weeks of viewing pleasure.  LOVE IT!!

request screen

Happy reading and exploring,

signature

No comments:

Post a Comment